Au Pair Requirements
There are certain requirements set by the The U.S. Department of State and Cultural Care Au Pair. It is important that all candidates meet these standards. Feel free to call us with any questions you have regarding your eligibility for the programme.
A Cultural Care au pair:
- Is between the ages of 18 and 26 years old
- Loves kids and has at least 200 hours of experience caring for them
- Is proficient in English
- Has completed (or is about to complete) secondary school (Matric/Grade 12)
- Has a driver's license or is able to obtain it before travel
- Does not have a criminal background
- Is in good health
- Is flexible, motivated, mature and positive
- Is ready to commit to a minimum of one year abroad (maximum two)
- Is not married, and has no dependents
The most important qualification is a good attitude and great child care experience. Our programme requires at least 200 hours of child care experience to be an au pair, however over 500 hours is more desirable. This can include babysitting (including relatives), volunteering or working at a daycare or creche, coaching children’s sports, working with a church group, tutoring children or any type of experience working with kids.