Program Costs and Benefits
At Cultural Care Au Pair, we are upfront with our costs and want to make this program an affordable way for you to travel abroad. As an au pair candidate, nothing is due financially until you find your host family.
The benefits of Cultural Care include consistent support during the application process here in South Africa and throughout your au pair stay in the USA. You will also enjoy 5 days at our very own training school in New York. At the training school you will receive detailed training and become CPR/ First Aid instructed by the American Heart Association.
Once in the USA we will arrange your travel from the training school in New York to your host family's home. Your American host family will provide you with room and board as well as a weekly stipend of 195.75 USD!
With Cultural Care Au Pair, you can attend an information meeting and apply to the program for free. When you find the right family for you, we will review how to make payment and send along the necessary visa documents. Below is an overview of Cultural Care Au Pair’s program fee as well as other costs you should plan on.
Program fee: R7 000
Recommended Insurance Coverage:
- Comprehensive (Extended) Insurance Coverage for 12 months – R6 500 (strongly recommended)
- Extended Travel Month Coverage for 13th month – R750
- Sports and Adventure Supplement for 12 months – R2 100
- Sports and Adventure Supplement for additional 13th month – R350
- Cancellation Protection – R700
- Full Board and accommodation with an American family
- Safety enforced by law through the U.S. Department of State regulations
- Weekly stipend of US$195.75
- Up to US$500 for college courses
- Two weeks paid vacation
- Opportunity to extend for another 6, 9 or 12 months*
(*additional fees apply, please check with your Cultural Care Au Pair office for up to date fees)
- Return airfare from South Africa to your host family, upon successful completion of the program
- Basic insurance coverage
Cultural Care Benefits:
- One-on-one application screening and individual support
- Additional online and offline workshops and preparation material
- Biggest pool of host families + individual matching service = best chances to get placed
- All flights and transfers to and from your host family at the beginning and end of the au pair program** (additional charges may apply depending on date, departure airport and airline you choose)
- Detailed training including CPR/AED and First Aid certification instructed by the American Heart Association at our very own au pair training school
- Insurance coverage designed exclusively for au pairs
Other costs to keep in mind:
- Visa fee – $160 (around R2 500 (Payable to the US Embassy, cost fluctuates based on exchange rate of USD). Please note that to obtain a visa, you are required to attend an interview at the US Consulate in either Cape Town, Johannesburg or Durban. Travel to these cities is at your own cost.
- Criminal Background Check – between R96 and R180
- International driver’s license: R265
- Health Check – Cost for health check varies depending on your GP
- Passport renewal (if required) R400
** Note: If you do not successfully complete your time as an au pair, your return flight may not be covered by CCAP.
Safety enforced by law through the U.S. Department of State regulations. For full details of U.S. Department of State Programme Guidelines, please click here.